Snow Hill UMC

Some Old Time History

 

The earliest membership rolls of our church show that nine Methodist Circuit Riders received 28 members into what is now known as Snow Hill United Methodist Church.  The members met in homes, then log cabins that served as both Church and Peabody Schools.  In the archives of the Methodist Church, Charlotte, N.C. are records record in the Steward’s Book of the Episcopal Church (1820 – 1863). 

 

How Did It Get Its Name?

 In 1876, a white wooden frame church was built on land which is now our cemetery.  Family history states that snow was blowing here on June 4, 1876, when the building was finished, thus the name of the church became Snow Hill.   Fifty-three years later, in 1929, the present red brick church was dedicated.  Membership had grown to 80. 

Come and Visit

We are a small church with an active choir and praise music.  The church host a community pantry and is building a community garden with meditation trails.  Come deliver the Good News to our neighbors.